Support for Ukrainian refugees
With the help of our volunteers, local community, organisations and local government we deliver a range of activities to support Ukrainian guests and their hosts, including running free English language and cultural adaptation sessions. Here we share information on current events and initiatives run by us and our partners in Cambridge and surrounding areas.
For Ukrainians: please visit this page for regular updates, or fill out this form to receive them via email.
If you would like to volunteer with our Ukraine response working group, please complete this form.
For any queries or offers of help, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
HELPLINE: 05603 025975 (09:00-18:00 Monday – Friday, 10:00-17:00 Saturday)
Our Helpline aims to facilitate communication between Ukrainian refugees and their host families by providing a translation service (Russian, English and Ukrainian). Please view the information leaflet here. Please leave a voice message and our volunteers will respond within an hour the same day to discuss how to get the help you need.
Join us on 23 May 12:00 14:00 for information meeting on Higher Education in the UK at St Andrews Street Baptist Church, 40-43 St Andrew’s St, Cambridge CB2 3AR. The event is free, please register here.
On 19 April we held an information meeting on Housing for Ukrainians, please see the presentations below:
On 16 March we held an online meeting with Attorney Anton Koval, head of the Legal Center. We are planning another session with Anton in June, details to follow. Please see below some useful links shared at the meeting:
Allia Business Support Programme for Ukrainians in March-May: join free workshops for Ukrainians wanting to start or grow a business here in the UK. At each event there will be local business leaders and entrepreneurs who will act as mentors for delegates. To register, please email Neil Prem. Space is strictly limited at each event, and we expect demand to be high and as such would encourage people to register as quickly as possible. Find out more here.
We are looking for volunteers to help us with coordinating language skills testing and directing students to their classes at St Andrew’s Street Baptist Church. Please consider supporting this worthy community project and spare one hour of your time per week assisting with ensuring smooth operation of this project. No special skills are required apart from a friendly approach and desire to help our students. Please get in touch with Alla Victorova. Thank you in advance for your cooperation!
CURRENT ACTIVITIES AND INITIATIVES
English Language and Cultural Adaptation
- Please join free English language conversation group meetings led by native English speakers. See the list of venue and times below:
– every other Thursday at 16:30 (starting from 9 February) meet Dick at Caffè Nero (second floor), 11 Market Street, Cambridge CB2 3PA
– Mondays and Thursdays at 13:00. The meeting is hosted by George at The Vestry, St. Andrew’s Street Baptist Church, St Anrew’s Street, Cambridge CB2 3AR
No need to pre-book, just turn up. For questions please contact Tatyana Yurasova.
- Free guided tours of Cambridge offered by Tanya Yurasova for newly arrived Ukrainians (for others there is a charge of £15 per person). Call or text Tanya on 07815 101481 or check for updates at Tangential Cambridge.
- Free evening English speaking sessions offered by Cambridge English Language Society in Arbury, Cambridge CB4 2LD. Sign up online here. Call 07773 877658 or email email@example.com for more information.
- Ukrainian language classes at St Andrew’s Street Baptist Church, Cambridge CB2 3AR. Contact Irina Tsepova: firstname.lastname@example.org
Networking and community
- The Cambridge Botanic Gardens is offering one-time free tickets to Ukrainians who moved to the UK due to the start of the war and now live in the city of Cambridge. Please note that tickets are only required for visitors over 16 years of age. Admission to the Botanical Garden is free for the under 16 years old. You can apply for free tickets here.
- Telegram channel and chat Cambs4UA – useful information and practical advice from local residents for newcomers to Cambridgeshire.
- St Andrew’s Baptist Church welcomes you every Friday from 13:00 to 15:00 for tea and dessert. This is a great opportunity to meet new friends and speak Ukrainian and English.
- On weekdays St. Andrew’s Baptist Church is pleased to offer its premises for community events, meetings, birthday parties, etc. For details, please contact Eileen, church manager, on Whatsapp 07807914746.
- Andy’s Café is a great place to meet new people, discover other cultures and chat in English. The cafe is open every evening from Monday to Thursday in the upper hall (Upper Hall) St Andrew’s Street Baptist Church (Stoneyard Centre) from 20:00 to 22:30. The English club meets on Mondays, Tuesdays and Wednesdays from 16:00 to 17:30. The entrance is free. Everyone is welcome
- Meet-ups for Ukrainian guests every Saturday at 12:00 at Downing Place United Reformed Church (Downing Street, Cambridge CB2 3EL) run by Cambridge4Ukraine initiative in collaboration with Cambridge University Ukrainian Society. Follow their website for latest local events in support of Ukraine.
- One of our volunteer English language teachers, Jean Jones, who is a retired teacher of mathematics and physics with a TEFL qualification, would like to offer maths tutoring to children who need help with their school work. Contact Jean by email: email@example.com Phone: 07810870710
- Nataliia, one of our Ukrainian guests, is a qualified teacher seeking work as a nanny in a Russian- or Ukrainian-speaking family. Contact Nataliia by phone (Telegram, WhatsApp): 07867075941.
Support for Local Hosts and Ukrainians
- Cambridge4Ukraine is an initiative founded by Ukrainians in Cambridge to assist local hosts who wish to sponsor Ukrainians under the Homes for Ukraine scheme. Click here to express your willingness to become a host.
- Mosty-Movy is a UK-wide network of volunteer Ukrainian and Russian speakers offering to help refugees and their hosts to build bridges across the language barrier and make friends
Employment and Career Advice
- WEA (Workers’ Educational Association) have set up two online courses especially for English language learners to help them settle in in the UK and prepare them to find a job. If you are interested in the courses below, please register online for Welcome to the UK (C2229132).and Supporting Employment Opportunities for ESOL Learners (C2229133).
- British specialists are offering assistance to Ukrainians to find work in their profession. Please send your CV to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include the following information in your email: a brief presentation and a link to your LinkedIn profile; the kind of work you are looking for (area of expertise and location); visa status; level of English. Please attach your CV in PDF format.
- Cambridge Refugee Resettlement Campaign (CRRC) partnered with Laptops 4 Learning to provide IT equipment to those in Cambridgeshire who have fled the war in Ukraine. Please complete the form here, if you need support.
- Jesus College shared vacancies in the service sector: Catering Assistant (in English; in Ukrainian); Housekeeping Assistant (in English; in Ukrainian).
- Jobs at Homerton College can be found here. Please contact Aleksandra Kucharska: email@example.com
- The House Plant Store in Cambridge is seeking a responsible, careful salesperson who loves and cares for plants. Minimum knowledge of English is required and a work permit. Employment from 16 to 30 hours per week on weekdays and weekends. Please contact Elena at +44 7547 696053, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Jobs at Scott’s Cafe – please follow the link or email: email@example.com
Want to help?
- Are you a British professional who would like to help Ukrainian guests with their careers in the UK? Please join this LinkedIn group to be matched with a Ukrainian looking for a job in your industry.
- Could you or your company or academic institution donate surplus or old devices to be cleansed and refurbished for reuse by those in need?Laptops 4 Learning would be delighted to hear from you.
- The Cambridge Refugee Resettlement Campaign recruits volunteers and brings together community initiatives to help refugees in and around Cambridge
FOLLOW THIS LINK TO ACCESS REGULARLY UPDATED USEFUL INFORMATION