Monday 26th August – Friday 30th August 2019
Venue: Fitzwilliam College, Storey’s Way, Cambridge CB3 0DG
Fitzwilliam College can be accessed from Storey‘s Way (main Porters’ Lodge) or Huntingdon Rd (where you need to press the button on the wall).
Map of the College: https://www.fitz.cam.ac.uk/about/map-college
HOW TO GET THERE – by car or public transport: https://www.fitz.cam.ac.uk/about/location
The OPENING of the Russian Summer School will take place on Monday, 26th August, at 9:00 am, in the Upper Hall 1.
Timetable at a glance:
9:30 – 10:30 – Lesson 1
10:40 – 11:40 – Lesson 2
11:40 – 12:00 – Tea/Coffee break
12:00 – 13:00 – Lesson 3
13:00 – 14:30 – Lunch break (in the Dining Hall)
14:30 – 15:30 – Lesson 4
15:30 – 15:45 – Tea/Coffee break
16:00 – 17:30 – Workshops and other extra-curricular activities
18:00 – 19:00 – Supper (in the Dining Hall)
19:30 – 21:30 – Evening Programme (in the Upper Hall 1)
Drop-in Workshops will run on Mon, Wed, Tue, and Thu – participants can choose which ones (if any) they wish to attend:
- 16:00 – 16:45 Russian Dance/ Puppet Theatre
- 16:45-17:30 Russian Songs/ Russian Drama & Music (incl. Anna Karenina & Peter and the Wolf)/ Poetry
Daily Themes: Each day will have a very broad theme, based on quotations from Russian books, poems and songs to put us in the mood. This does not mean that we’ll be studying or discussing the quoted books or poems all day – they are only there to suggest a variety of topics for the day and can be interpreted very broadly:
- Monday – «У меня зазвонил телефон» (My phone is ringing)
- Tuesday – «Увезу тебя я в тундру» (I’ll take you to the tundra!)
- Wednesday – «Горе от ума» (Woe from Wit)
- Thursday – «Восток – Запад» (East – West) [Spoiler]
- Friday – Projects and Presentations
- Sunday, 25th August, 18:00 – informal meeting with residential participants in the Dining Hall
- Monday, 26th August, 19:30 – Evening of Introductions
- Tuesday, 27th August, 19:30 – Talk by Macrae Morse “Russian Achievements in Space”, in English; discussion in both languages.
- Wednesday, 28th August, 19:30 – Film Night (a Russian film with English subtitles)
- Thursday, 29th August, 19:30 – Students’ Concert as the highlight of the course – including songs, dance, music, and drama!
Our Anthem: Cambridge Summer School Anthem
Meals in the college:
Breakfast, lunch and supper will be served in the Dining Hall (self-service). Tables will be reserved so that the participants can sit together. All food is labelled at all meal times.
On Thursday, we hope to have a Russian-themed menu for supper!
Attention of those arriving on Sunday night:
You may check in at the Porters’ Lodge on Storey’s Way any time from 2pm. Sunday dinner is included in the cost of the course. It is suggested that all residential participants and the teachers may like to meet informally in the Dining Hall on Sunday night, between 6 and 7pm, and have dinner together.
Free parking is available on the first come – first served basis, both in the Storey’s Way and the Huntingdon Road car park. There is also free parking along the road on Storey’s Way.
ON YOUR ARRIVAL:
Please go to Porters’ Lodge on Storey’s Way. They will give you a key to your room, and a map of the college.
You won’t need any meal tickets for the Dining Hall.
Getting there by public transport on SUNDAY 25th August afternoon/evening:
If you arrive by train, take any bus from the railway station to the city centre (10 min). There are plenty of buses: Citi 1, Citi 3, Citi 7, Green Park and Ride, Busway Route C. Stops are on the far left, across the road, as you come out of the station.
Once in the city centre (Emmanuel Street):
- Citi 5 – Stop E4 (towards Bar Hill) 15:40, 16:40, 17:40 & no later
- Citi 6 – Stop E4 (towards Oakington) 15:10, 16:10, 17:10 & no later
6-7 min ride. Get off at the stop “Fitzwilliam College”, on Huntingdon Rd.
Taxis: There is a taxi rank at the station.
Local taxi numbers:
Panther (01223) 715 715,
Cabco (01223) 313131.
Or you can walk – it is about 50 min on foot from the railway station (or 25 min from the city centre)!
ON THE LAST DAY OF SCHOOL (Friday):
You will be asked to check out by 9:30 am but will be able to leave your luggage safely near the Porters’ Lodge.
Lessons will finish at 3:30 pm, and, after a few goodbyes, you will be free to go home!