Venue: Girton College, Huntingdon Rd, Cambridge CB3 0JG
Map of Girton College: Russian Summer School 2016
The opening of the Russian Summer School will take place on Monday, 1st August, at 9:30am, in The Old Kitchens.
Timetable at a glance:
9:30 – 10:30 – Lesson 1
10:30 – 10:50 – Coffee break (ante-room at The Old Kitchens & C16)
10:50 – 11:50 – Lesson 2
12:00 – 13:00 – Lesson 3
13:00 – 14:00 – Lunch break (food from Cafeteria eaten in the Dining Hall)
1400 – 15:00 – Lesson 4
15:00 – 18:00 – Rehearsals, Talks and Walks, Homework, Free time
18:00 – 19:00 – Dinner (food from Cafeteria eaten in the Dining Hall)
19:30 – 21:30 – Evening Programme (The Old Kitchens)
Afternoon Rehearsals for the Thursday concert will take place on Tue and Wed, between 3pm and 6pm, e.g.:
- 3:30-4:15 – Singing
- 4:15-5 – Drama
- 5-5:30 – Dancing
Extracurricular Programme, in full:
Monday, 1st August
- 3-6pm: Trip to the city centre and a guided walk, in Russian with some English, by a professional Cambridge tourist guide.
- 7:30pm: “Evening of Introductions”.
Tuesday, 2nd August
- 3:30-5:30pm: Rehearsals
- 7:30pm: A specially selected Russian film that we shall watch and discuss.
Wednesday, 3rd August
- 3:30-5:30pm: Rehearsals
- 7:30pm: John Langran “Some observations about learning Russian” (how he learned Russian in the 1960s, and some of the highlights of learning and teaching the language); then John will do a game, and give some examples of new “Ruslan” drills.
Thursday, 4th August
- 5-6pm: Sir Tony Brenton – A talk (in English) “Shakespeare the Russian“ and discussion afterwards.
- 7:30pm: Students’ Concert as the highlight of the course – including songs, dance and drama!
General times of meals in the college (self-service):
– breakfast 8-9am
– lunch 12-1pm
– dinner 6-7pm
(These are the slots when the meals are being served, so if you arrive at 8:55am you will still get your breakfast!)
Breakfast, lunch and dinner will be served through the cafeteria (self-service) and eaten sat in the Great Hall. Tables will be reserved so that the participants can sit together. All food is labelled at all meal times.
Attention of those arriving on Sunday night: Sunday dinner is included in the cost of the course. It is suggested that all residential participants and the teachers may like to meet informally at the college’s Dining Hall on Sunday night, between 6 and 7pm, and have dinner together.
Ample free parking in the Visitor’s car park – Mare’s Run
Once you’ve parked, please follow the signs to the Porter’s Lodge on arrival where they will have their key ready for them. People being dropped off can either use the front or rear entrances.
Getting there on Sunday 31st July afternoon/evening:
- If you arrive by train, go to Bus Stop 8 (on the far left as you come out of the station), and take Whippet 1A (towards Huntingdon):
- 16:10, 17:10, 18:05 & no later – roughly 20 min journey;
- get off at the stop “opp Girton Rd”, then 6 min walk to college (up Girton Rd).
- Take any bus from the railway station to the city centre (10 min).
There are plenty of buses: Citi 1, Citi 3, Citi 7, Green Park and Ride.
Stops are on the far left, as you come out of the station.
- From the city centre (Emmanuel Street), either take Citi 5 (towards Bar Hill) 15:56, 16:56, 17:56 & no later – get off at the stop “opp Girton Rd”, then 6 min walk to college (up Girton Rd);
- or Citi 6 (towards Oakington) 16:26, 17:26 & no later – get off at the stop “opp Wellbrook Way”), 1 min walk.
Taxis: A taxi from the railway station to Girton college would typically cost £11 or £12 on the meter, depending on the traffic. There is a taxi rank at the station.
Local taxi numbers: Panther (01223) 715 715, Cabco (01223) 313131.
On a work day, there are many buses from the college to the city centre
(if you wish to nip out at your leisure time):
- Citi 5: 04, 24, 44 minutes past the hour;
- Whippet 1A: 39 min past the hour until 15:39, then 17:24, 18:13
– both stop on Huntingdon Rd opp Girton Rd (6 min walk from college);
- Citi 6: 07, 37 minutes past the hour – stops on Girton Rd nr Wellbrooke Way (1 min walk from college).
On a work day, going back to college:
- Citi 5 (towards Bar Hill): 09, 29, 49 min past the hour;
- Citi 6 (towards Oakington): 24, 54 min past the hour – both stop on Emmanuel St. (Stop E4);
- Whippet 1A (to Huntingdon): 25 min past the hour until 15:25, then 16:30, 17:10, 18:15, 19:15 – stops on Drummer Street (Bay 4).
NB If you have an opportunity and feel the inclination, you may wish to bring your bike with you – it’s a 15 minutes ride to the city centre (cycling back to Girton would be somewhat uphill).