Monday 21st August – Friday 25th August 2017
Venue: Murray Edwards College, Huntingdon Rd, Cambridge CB3 0DF (It can also be accessed from Storey’s Way.)
Click here for the map showing the location of the College (you can zoom in and out)
Visitors’ Information: https://www.murrayedwardsevents.co.uk/visitor-information/
The OPENING of the Russian Summer School will take place on Monday, 21st August, at 9:00 am, in The Dome.
Timetable at a glance:
9:30 – 10:30 – Lesson 1
10:40 – 11:40 – Lesson 2
11:40 – 12:00 – Coffee break (served next to the teaching rooms)
12:00 – 13:00 – Lesson 3
13:00 – 14:30 – Lunch break (in the Dome)
14:30 – 15:30 – Lesson 4
16:00 – 17:30 – Workshops and other extra-curricular activities
18:00 – 19:00 – Dinner (in the Dome)
19:30 – 21:30 – Evening Programme (Buckingham Lecture Theatre)
Drop-in Workshops will run on Tue, Wed, and Thu – participants can choose which ones (if any) they wish to attend:
- 16:00 – 16:45 Russian Dance/ Drama
- 16:45-17:30 Russian Songs/ Russian Poetry
- Бюро добрых услуг – drop in with any questions
Daily Themes: Each day will have a very broad theme, based on quotations from Russian books and songs to put us in the mood:
- Monday – «Отцы и дети» (Father and Sons)
- Tuesday – «Земля в иллюминаторе» (The World through a Porthole)
- Wednesday – «Кому на Руси жить хорошо?» (Who Is Happy in Russia?)
- Thursday – «Преступление и наказание» (Crime and Punishment)
- Friday – «Закаляйся, как сталь!» (Get Strong As Steel)
- Monday, 21st August, 19:30 – “Evening of Introductions”
- Tuesday, 22nd August, 19:30 – Film Night
- Wednesday, 23rd August, 19:30 – Talk “Invitation to the Dacha” by Jenny Antill, in English; discussion in both languages.
- Thursday, 24th August, 19:30 – Students’ Concert as the highlight of the course – including songs, dance and drama!
Our Anthem: Cambridge Summer School Anthem
Closing of the Summer School in the Dome: Friday, 25th August, 15:30 – 16:00
Breakfast, lunch and dinner will be served through the cafeteria (self-service) and eaten sat in the Dome. Tables will be reserved so that the participants can sit together. All food is labelled at all meal times.
On Thursday, we shall have Russian-themed menu for dinner!
Attention of those arriving on Sunday night: Sunday dinner is included in the cost of the course. It is suggested that all residential participants and the teachers may like to meet informally at the college’s Dome on Sunday night, between 6 and 7pm, and have dinner together.
Ample free parking in the Storey’s Way car park. The postcode CB3 0DR/number 61, entered entered in your SatNav, will bring you straight there.
Parking for bicycles is close to the Porters’ Lodge at the front entrance.
Once you have parked, please follow the signs to the Porters’ Lodge where they will give you a key to your room, with an electronic fob that will allow you access o all public areas in the college. They will also issue you with a free WiFi username and password.
Getting there by road:
From the M11, take junction 13 onto the A1303 towards Cambridge city centre.
From the A14, take junction 31 onto the A1307 towards Cambridge city centre.
Getting there by public transport on SUNDAY 20st August afternoon/evening:
If you arrive by train, take any bus from the railway station to the city centre (10 min). There are plenty of buses: Citi 1, Citi 3, Citi 7, Green Park and Ride, Busway Route C. Stops are on the far left, across the road, as you come out of the station.
Once in the city centre (Emmanuel Street):
- Citi 5 – Stop E4 (towards Bar Hill) 15:56, 16:56, 17:56 & no later
- Citi 6 – Stop E4 (towards Oakington) 16:26, 17:26 & no later
- Citi 8 – Stop E1 (towards Cottenham) 16:20, 16:50, 17:20, 17:50 & no later
6-7 min ride. Get off at the stop “Histon Road Corner”, 3 min walk to the Porters’ Lodge.
Taxis: There is a taxi rank at the station.
Local taxi numbers:
Panther (01223) 715 715, Cabco (01223) 313131.
Or you can walk – it is about 40 min on foot from the railway station (or 15-20 min from the city centre)!
On a WORK DAY, there are many buses from the College to the City Centre
(if you wish to nip out at your leisure time):
- Citi 5: 04, 24, 44 minutes past the hour;
- Citi 6: 07, 37 minutes past the hour;
- Citi 8: 05, 25, 35 minutes past the hour.
All stop on “Histon Rd Corner” (3 min walk from the college).
On a WORK DAY, going back to the College, from Emmanuel Street:
- Citi 5 – Stop E4 (towards Bar Hill): 09, 29, 49 min past the hour;
- Citi 6 – Stop E4 (towards Oakington): 24, 54 min past the hour;
- Citi 8 – Stop E1 (to Cottenham): 10, 30, 50 min past the hour.
NB If you have an opportunity and feel the inclination, you may wish to bring your bike with you – it’s a 5 minutes ride to the city centre (cycling back would be somewhat uphill).